It was an old microwave cart we saw in the attic of my parent’s house that sparked this crazy idea. I remember back when I was a kid when my parents would use this piece of furniture as a movable type of TV stand. I could still hear the rolling sound of wheels on wood as they move it from room to room, usually from my dad’s office to the spare bedroom used either by guests, but mostly by my grandmother who would always come visit and stay for months on end. Surprisingly, judging by the microwave carts at http://EMicrowavecart.com, lots of the designs of these carts really haven’t changed too much at all. She enjoyed quite a lot of TV time, and would request us little kids to wheel it in after dinner.
The TV was one of those big heavy things from the 90′s, and when me and my wife inspected the top shelf of the cart, we can see the tiniest of sags on the center where the TV rested once. No biggie, I thought, when I realized what I can do with it. We had visited the attic for some throwaway furniture my parents don’t need anymore, and I thought this cart is just perfect for what I’ve been planning to do in my son’s room in our new house. You see, I was thinking of setting up a Star Wars themed room, despite my wife badgering me on how it would be completely ridiculous if I insist. But I do insist, and now I found my R2D2 themed furniture.
It’s simple really, thought it will never be the same shape as the real robot. The microwave cart, a squat wooden piece with a gallery top shelf and cabinets below, is easy enough to transform with paint. I used KILZ original spray primer to prime the whole thing then painted it with a metallic finish, painstakingly, in the intricate colors of the robot’s body. I could have avoided a lot of this work by starting off with a metal or stainless steel microwave cart. The tricky part was to come next, the dome head.
I once saw a picture of a mailbox online with an R2D2 theme and took inspiration from it. Instead of using wood, I bought a long metallic sheet off Metals Depot and cut it in four. The first two were shaped into the sides of the microwave cart with its top edge contoured to the bended metal sheet drilled apical to them. I left an opening to the front, where I applied the fourth sheet, bended as well, to slides I placed underside the top sheet so that it can be opened and the gallery shelf still get used. I painted again the top part, this time with dulled colors of white and blue, to get a good match on the wooden ones below.
It definitely was hard work but I’m quite happy with the results. Somehow, my wife looked satisfied as well. My son is of course elated upon seeing it, so it should be no problem to continue on with other Star Wars project for his bedroom.